A detailed organogram giving the details of the organizational structure of the Lokpal is under preparation. The Lokpal consists of a Chairperson and eight Members out of whom 50% are Judicial Members. The Chairperson and the Members are appointed by the President of India by warrant under his hand and seal and hold office for a term of five years from the date on which they enter upon the office or until they attain the age of 70 years, whichever is earlier. The salary, allowances and other conditions of services of the Chairperson are the same as that of Chief Justice of India. The salary, allowances and other conditions of services of the Members are the same as that of a Judge of the Supreme Court.
Lokpal will have two main branches and will discharge its functions through these two.
- The Administrative branch will be headed by an officer of the rank of Secretary to Govt of India and will have in its fold:
- Inquiry/ Investigation branch to be headed by an officer not below the rank of Additional Secretary to Govt of India
- Prosecution wing to be headed by an officer not below the rank Additional Secretary to Govt of India
- Central Registry
- Scrutiny wing
- Establishment, Coordination, Media and Publication
- Budget, Finances and Accounts
- The Judicial Branch will be headed by a Judicial officer of appropriate level and will assist the Lokpal discharge their judicial functions.
All the administrative and judicial functions will be facilitated through a work flow application. The complainant as well as other concerned parties will be informed of the status of their respective cases by way of text messages on cell phones (sms) as well as e-mails (if email id is known). The complaint shall be filed in the prescribed form to be notified.